The development will comprise of the conversion and extension of the existing ‘B’ listed Holmlea Primary School building to provide dwellings for Home Group Scotland and Cathcart and District Housing Association. Originally designed by Andrew Balfour and opened in 1908, the School closed in 2005 and had been left in disrepair until the site was purchased by our client, Home Group Scotland, in 2015. Since then we have been working closely with Historic Environment Scotland and our client to produce a sympathetic restoration and addition to the existing building to bring the building back into use and provide much needed housing to the Cathcart area.
New dwellings in the existing school building will be a mixture of one and two bedroom flats and maisonettes. To facilitate the development, permission was achieved to demolish the School’s Sports Hall but common areas such as the former school atria will be reinstated to their former appearance.
To retain clear views to the School’s principal, south-facing façade, the extension and two new-build blocks will be located to the north of the site. The extension will be formed in a textured red brick, complimenting the existing tones of the school, and the new blocks will use a similarly textured brick to relate to the new extension but will differ tonally.
The simple, seasonal landscaping scheme for the site will be further enhanced by feature walls created using the Dumfriesshire red sandstone salvaged from the Sports Hall demolition and paths will be flanked by crushed ‘Green Peggy’ slates salvaged from the School roof.